Monday 9 September 2013

Harvest Monday - 9th Sept '13

A winter-focused harvest continues here at Highfield. Here are my pickings from the last week.


I picked one of the last Savoy cabbages and fennel, 


lots of fennel!


There was a tiny cabbage - the variety is 'Mini' but even so it was pretty small!


Three lovely big beetroot.


Basket loads of broccoli side shoots.


Then there has been the last of the cauliflowers,


and the first of the leeks - these went into a leek, mushroom and home made bacon quiche.

There continues to be loads of parsley and celery.

I am loving not buying vegetables - one day, when my fruit trees get going, I wont buy much fruit either!

Hope your pickings have been good. I am contributing this post to Daphne's Harvest Monday. Click over to hers to see more pickings from around the world.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely looking harvest. Love how fat your fennel is. A lot of my winter crops are starting to go to seed now with the warmer weather arriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. I am having a bit of trouble with my cabbages - they are bolting!

      Delete
  2. You do grow the best cauliflower. Some day I might be tempted to try it again, but that's a difficult veggie for me, along with brussels sprouts, I leave those to the pros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty pleased with these, even though they are smallish. My Brussels on the other hand are not good. I think I will decide that I dont like Brussels enough to try them again.

      Delete
  3. Your vegetables are amazing. I grow lots of stuff but all the things you are growing have been failures for me, I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Hannah. I am sure its the sheep manure! I am sure you grow things I havent had success with...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...