Monday 20 May 2013

Aphid invasion!

Never in my life have I had an aphid invasion like this one!


Aphids have been thick on my savoy cabbages, coating the leaves with their greyness and hiding away in the folds of the forming cabbages.

The other day I decided to make a garlic spray and hit them hard.
I didn't note the quantities of the garlic spray I made up but it went something like this.

Garlic Spray

2 cups water
3 large garlic cloves finely cut up
a tiny little dash of olive oil

Pop water and garlic into a saucepan and boil up. You can kind of smell when the water has taken on the garlic odour. Cool a little before straining into a pump spay bottle. Add the olive oil and shake. When the mix is cool spray offending aphids.

Red Drumhead and Mini Wombok
Yesterday I checked to see the results and yay, hundreds, thousands of dead aphids! (I didn't take a photo unfortunately, so you'll just have to believe me.)

Now, one more problem to solve... how to get them off the cabbage. I decided on a hefty spray with the hose - just as well we have had plenty of rain lately otherwise I would hesitate using precious water in this way. This seems to have worked.

Bizarrely, it is only the Savoy cabbages that have been affected. I have Red Drumhead, Mini Cabbage and Mini Wombok in addition to the Savoys in and they are all clean. So what is it about Savoys?

As for my other brassicas, they are all doing well except for those within beak reach of the marauding chooky girls. I have lost three immature cauliflower plants to their ability to peck thru wire mesh!

How do you deal with your aphid issues? How are your cabbages?

aphid-free Savoy cabbage ( minus bloom)

13 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! I've nt ever tried to get them off but I definitely will be now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed to work for me, and so simple and no nasty sprays. Perhaps it will make my cabbages taste of garlic too?

      Delete
  2. I have aphids on my Cavolo Nero, my Brussel Sprouts and my red cabbage. I've just planted out some Savoy so they'll probably take up residence their too. I have been squirting them off to date with variable effect so I think I will give your garlic treatment a whirl. Good timing. Do you reckon it will work on black aphids too - they have just appeared on my garlic - grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame they are not more choosy and only attacking one plant. I certainly reckon it will work on black aphids. Give the plants a good dose.

      Delete
  3. Woolly aphids seem to take a liking to the cabbage family- have green aphids on the peas and roses that are plaguing me at the moment. I've tried garlic on our aphids previously, but it wasn't as effective - maybe because you cooked out the oils first? - I'll try again and then amend the recipe on my blog too! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope it works for you. I didnt cook the garlic very long at all.

      Delete
  4. I have one broccoli plant that for some reason 'came again' from the last planting. It has been absolutely covered from top to toe in aphids. I've left it as is in the hope that it will act as a magnet and they will leave the other brassicas alone. It's my sacrificial plant and it's working so far, be it luck or coincidence, I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems in my case that my savoys are my sacrifice plants!

      Delete
  5. Nasturtiums have completely sorted out my aphid problems. Aphids absolutely love them so I just treat them like a 'sacrifice plant'. I don't love the bright orange ones, so have planted some pale yellow and red ones. The aphids seem to choose to attack the nasturtiums over everything else. Although I guess that is what your savoy cabbage is doing too! Sacrifice of one plant to save the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, isn't that odd! I have nasturtiums but they are completely untouched. It seems in my case the aphids have decided that savoys are their favourites. Maybe cause they can hide away from the cold in the folds of the cabbage?

      Delete
  6. That's a great tip! I've used pyrethrum on aphids but never garlic spary. My brassicas are aphid free - touch wood - but I will bookmark this page for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you with aphid free brassicas! Do you make your own pyrethrum? I have a neighbour who has just started growing pyrethrum flowers for that purpose.

      Delete
  7. That's great, something that's all natural and has no effect on your vegetables only the horrible aphids.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...