Tuesday 9 April 2013

Zucchini Tuesday - Powdery mildew

Time catches up with all good zucchinis. Mid-April it seems was time for Greenskin 2. You see, he got a bad case of powdery mildew with the shorter days, less sun and increased dampness.


The plant was still pretty healthy otherwise and still producing, but it is also time to make way for the winter crops - cabbages, cauli, broccoli, sprouts, leeks...


I picked the remaining fruit and flowers,


and gave Greenskin 2 to the chooky girls. They found the grass more appealing...a sad sight really isn't it?


Greenskin 3 is still going and I will keep him from the chooks for a little while longer.

How are your zucchinis? Sent to the chook house yet?  What do you do to treat powdery mildew in your zucchinis?

10 comments:

  1. Mine got this badly. I tried spraying with a milk and water mix, but it didn't really work. And I removed the worst affected leaves, but next year i'll plant at the other end of the garden which gets even more sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of the milk spray before...I too have been picking off the worst leaves but it still keeps spreading, but it IS at the end of the season. I am not sure that mid-April is really prime zucchini time.

      Delete
  2. Yes, my zucchini also have powdery mildew. I do nothing about it. I'll pull them out shortly I think, and start planting onions. I need the space. Maybe the ducks will eat them. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is pulling up stumps time...hope your ducks like their fodder.

      Delete
  3. Mine has regrown and is about to start producing again. I suspect though it wont be for long and will be destined for the compost bin as punishment for being too big and too mildewy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing of your little sprout! I think Greenskin 3 will be inn the bin soon too, I have Sprouting broccoli that needs to go in and also shallots!

      Delete
  4. I don't bother trying to treat mildew anymore - as it seems it can't be beaten! My butternuts are looking very sad with it. At least they have produced, albeit meagrely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my pumpkins worked this year, it was just to fierce a summer!

      Delete
  5. Yep, all gone. They had a bad bout of powdery mildew (Sydney has been quite wet). I'm impressed with your final fruit and flower crop. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sydney has been wet, can't you send me some of your rain? I really only got the mildew in the last 2 weeks, it has been so sunny and dry here.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...