Monday 25 March 2013

Harvest Monday - 25th March 2013

The beetroot that were grazed off by the Wallaby earlier in the season have managed despite their mauling to survive and their roots are now thickening.  This last week I decided to pick a few - they are small but I always deliberately over plant beetroot  and use the first pickings to thin the crop. As time goes on the roots will become bigger as more space is made for others.


I have also been picking zucchinis determined to get most from this crop before the frost shuts it down.


Other pickings this week have been peaches - lovely white ones,


loads of rocket, some radish, herbs and some chillies which are getting strung up to dry.


and the first four snow peas, only two pictured here as I quickly ate the other two -  they often don't make it inside.


I am contributing this to Daphne's Harvest Monday. My harvest is pretty meagre for this time of the year for Southerners. I am sure that others who occupy this half of the globe will have much more produce to show you.

8 comments:

  1. Great harvest! lovely bright shiny zucchini and I'm a little jealous of your chillies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to finally get a little produce. The zukes are very shiny arent they?

      Delete
  2. How perfect do those 3 shiny, even sized zucchinis look, compared to the ones you photographed a few weeks back that actually won a prize at the show?! Great beetroot harvest too, I love eating beetroots young, they are so tasty at that stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided that I will be entering 3 zucchinis under 18cms in next year's Gundagai Show. Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I am thinking of growing three different colour types ( yellow, pale green and dark green) to aim for a mixed coloured 3 zucchini submission.

      Delete
  3. I really must sow some peas. In fact there are any number of things I really should get round to sowing, or planting...like a peach tree I am very jealous of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To date I have only grown snow peas. This year I am also raising sugar snaps. I am a little worried that in my climate I should be growing them in summer... I suspect that frost on the flowers might be a problem... let's see.

      Delete
  4. Yum. I wish I could grow snowpeas! Mine always get eaten by bugs. Its cruel! Your peach harvests are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. Love all the beautiful colors! TFS.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...