Wednesday 18 July 2012

My first blueberry plants


I have been inspired by L@500m2 - today I bought my first blueberries. It was love at first sight -  they are such pretty plants! Lovely dark green classically veined leaves, pink-orange stems, tight dark pink buds and pink-blush bell flowers...

I only brought two plants - both Nellie Kelly variety.  I think the plants will be called, 'Nellie' and 'Kelly'.



They will stay in pots for a while until I see how they go and so we can chase the sun (or the shade) as required around the patch. Apparently they go very well in pots. If I have some success I may get more.

I have much to learn about them, their preference for acid soils and their other habits. Here is one thing I have learnt already...did you know they can live for up to 30 years?

Any tips for success from experienced blueberry growers?

8 comments:

  1. Ooh - so exciting! My main tip is to not let them dry out. Mine live in self watering pots. It's looking like a good year for them already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder about not drying out, perhaps I should put them in self-watering pots too.

      Delete
  2. I too am growing this variety of blue berry. So far it is thriving , we cant wait to eat them and maybe even have enough to cook with . Good luck with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks...you too! I cant wait either, but right now I am so enjoying their cute flowers.

      Delete
  3. I bought some in Autumn too, 3 different varieties, 2 of which escape me as I write this, the third was Nellie Kelly too. 2 are currently flowering one isn't - I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do. Mine are in pots too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, I will look forward to your reports on which of the varieties does best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I had three blueberry plants in pots for 4 years before they went into the ground last year. I'd definately go the acidic potting mix, and self watering pots with mulch on top. That said they performed really well in pots. I think the varieties are Brigitta, Rose and the last one I can't remember - all were bought on impulse from a pick your own farm and never regretted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh excellent, thanks for the advice. Glad that they have never been a regret. I am looking forward to my first pick even if a small one.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...