Sunday 25 March 2012

A glut of lemons (3) and finger lime progress

Tiny tiny first finger lime
Picked
  • lettuce
  • parsley
  • herbs
Last Sunday I noticed a tiny flower on the finger lime 'Collette'.  I have been watching its progress closely.  The pink flower bud opened into a small but very stameny flower white in colour.  I wish I had taken a picture because the flower didn't last very long at all!

the first finger lime flower

 One week later and the first fruit has begun to form. Collette is supposed to have black shiny fruit -  certainly it looks like that is going to happen!  The fruit at present is a dark dark purple.  Here is the picture of the flower I took last week.


Back to the lemon glut... I have made a cake called 'Canadian Lemon cake'.




Canadian Lemon Cake
This is a recipe that I cut out of a newspaper a long long time ago.  I suspect that it was from Melbourne's Age newspaper when we lived there, but that was now around 12 years ago that we left that fine city.

I quote from the  newspaper cut out, "Quite simply one of the best lemon cakes of all time. The mixture is buttery and light and the lemon syrup gives a fresh tart flavour that everyone loves."  Hard to resist right?  I copy the ingredients here as they appear but have simplified the method -  you know how to make a cake...

Cake
Lemon cake, eaten warm
125g butter
1 1/4 cup caster sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon*
3 tablespoons lemon* juice
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk

Syrup
2 tablespoons lemon* juice
grated rind of 1 lemon*
1/4 cup caster sugar

Prepare a tin and heat the ovento180C.

Cream butter and sugar and then add lemon rind and juice and mix.  Beat in eggs gradually.  Sift flour with baking powder and add to the mix alternately with the milk.  Turn into the pan and bake at 180C until browned on top and firm to the touch. Remove from the pan when a little cooled.

In the meantime, put all syrup ingredients in a saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved.  Pour the syrup onto the top of the cake and allow it to run down the sides and soak into the cake.

5 comments:

  1. Yum. I am partial to a lemon cake. I am also very jealous of your lime flower - mine is just sitting there slowly growing but little else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you were the one who told me about where to buy them! I am sorry yours hasnt really flowered... although these ones could always fail. I wonder why yours hasnt flowered all these years? I have done nothing really to this little lass, just let her settle in and given her at little seasol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it! A colette came up on the Daley's site and I ordered it! There goes the budget, but oh well... I blame you ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! We can call ourselves 'the Collete cabal'. You know we can both blame Liz at 500m2! She was the one that answered my plea on 'where can I get a finger lime?' We can compare how they go! Mine is going great and I am sure yours will too.

      Delete
    2. Woops, got that wrong. We should be blaming Liz at Suburban Tomato it was her who told me where to buy! Perhaps we can send her our first fruit. Poor thing hers is sitting there doing nothing.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...